TVD Team Wristbands

Monday, June 28, 2010

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, May Make You Blue.

 I was sitting in my room the other day evaluating what I have done so far in my life, and what I wanted for my future. Being in my mid twenties, the dreaded topic of marriage popped up in my head. Now, I am not opposed to marriage as a whole, but you have to wonder if it is something even worth doing?

I am not trying to get hitched anytime soon, but I still do think about it from time to time. I still have some growing up to do, and there are a lot of things that I have yet to do with my life that would probably get in the way of a seriously committed relationship. I want to know who I really am so that I will not get lost in someones idea of what I should be.

So often people get into relationships and lose themselves and I don't want that... who in their right mind would want that? I want to be Shenna with or without a significant other. How many of you say to yourselves that you will never be like that one friend who got into a relationship and they completely neglected how they used to be all to please who they are with? And how many of you once in a relationship, actually become like that friend who you said that you would never be like?

If you're going to be with someone please find someone who will love you for who you are completely. DO NOT get into a relationship as one person, and eventually turn into someone else (Jekyll and Hyde). I know that relationships are comprised of communication, trust, and compromise, but don't compromise too much on who you are. You will be miserable in the long run and you are not doing your partner or yourself any good by doing so.

If you really think about what marriage entails, is it really any different than just co-habitation with your girlfriend/boyfriend? If you signed the lease together, couldn't that count as some form of vow making? If signing a piece of paper stating that you will be dwelling somewhere for the next 12 months (usually the standard lease term) doesn't count as a vow then I don't know what does.

Movies tend to romanticize the whole idea of weddings and wedded bliss, but in reality, it seems that mainstream media is always reporting celebrity divorces. And what gets me is when people who have been married for many years split up, and they become so nasty to each other during the divorce process. Weren't you in love at some point?!

I'm not trying to say that all marriages end up in the toilet, but it seems that the majority of them do. I would love to have that fairytale wedding, and the perfect marriage, but at what cost? I don't want to find my "soul-mate" and later down the road we can't even stand to breathe the same air. I want someone that will grow with me. A man that will appreciate my mind. I want more than just a kiss, I want a man to kiss my soul.


So I guess when the time is right and "fate" brings me to you, I hope that you will love all of me as I will love all of you... faults included.

No comments:

Post a Comment